Sanbona Wildlife Reserve is an authentic and contrasting natural space, it serves as a major role player in the conservation realm- which is imparted and intricately woven into our guest experiences. It is a true example of a successful rewilding project on an epic scale within the Western Cape, underpinned by peer reviewed, research-based conservation practice.
Conveniently located along Route 62, a mere 3.5 hours from Cape Town, the reserves aims to create balance where critically important ecosystems, endangered wildlife and flora can prosper. Positioned in a convergence zone of varied biodiversity hotspots of succulent Karoo and fynbos biomes, this 58 000 hectare of big, Karoo sky country offers breath-taking sceneries that will transport you to a place where time stands still and nature takes centre stage.
With a choice of three luxury lodges, each with their own distinct personality and appeal. Dwyka Tented Lodge is opulent, positioned under some nesting Verreaux’s eagles and in the bend of a river. Tilney Manor was designed in true Cape Georgian style, it is perfect for guests in need of an exclusive Karoo retreat. Gondwana Family Lodge is the perfect family haven in its configuration complimented with a tailored Kids on Safari programme to inspire the eco-warriors of the future. Nature drives, walking safaris, rock art and star gazing complete an exciting safari option very close to Cape Town.
• Sanbona is one of the largest privately owned game reserves in South Africa, owned and operated on a not-for-profit basis.
• Guided game drives offer immersive wilderness experiences showcasing endemic and critically engendered flora and fauna.
• 3.5 hours from Cape Town along the world famous Route 62.
• Malaria free
• All rates are offered on a full board basis including: two daily nature drives, guided wilderness walks, all meals, non-alcoholic drinks, all on-drive drinks, transfers from the Welcome Lounge, VAT and tourism levy.
Sanbona invites you to explore this wilderness sanctuary, surrounded by ancient mountain ranges and endless.
Low Season From ZAR 7 000 per person sharing per night
High Season From ZAR 11 000 per person sharing per night
• Disabled Access
• Family Friendly [Gondwana Family Lodge Only]
• Kids Entertainment Area and Access to the Kids on Safari Programme [Gondwana Family Lodge Only]
• Relaxation Retreats/ Spa Facilities
• Complimentary Wi-Fi
• Indoor and Outdoor Dining Facilities
• Swimming Pool or heated spa baths
• Secure Parking and Complimentary Lodge Transfers
• Airconditioning and Comfort Heating
• Private Minibar
• Tea and Coffee Making Facilities
• Electronic Safe
• Television Lounges
• Gift Boutique
From Cape Town:
An easy 3 hour drive, approximately 270 kms from Cape Town. On commencement of the journey, travel on the N1 from Cape Town in the direction of Paarl; continuing on the N1 travel through the Huguenot Tunnel. A tollgate controls this tunnel. A tollgate fee is payable at the tunnel. The first town is Worcester set in the Breede River Valley. Taking the second turnoff to the right into Worcester, you leave the N1 and the Route 60 (R60) is taken. Follow the signs to the town of Robertson. Once through Robertson, the next town is Ashton. The R60 becomes the R62 in Ashton. Travel on through Krogmanskloof and Montagu. Continue for approximately 43 km and turn left at “Die Vlakte” and Sanbona Wildlife Reserve sign. Please be advised that the road changes from tar to gravel and the recommended speed limit from there on is 60 km per hour. The main entrance to Sanbona Wildlife Reserve is 7 km.
From the main gate, it is a further 15 km to the welcoming lounge where guests will be welcomed. From the welcoming lounge, it is 45 minutes to Tilney Manor, 65 minutes to Dwyka Tented Lodge and 55 minutes to Gondwana Lodge. Please follow the relevant signs in the reserve. The recommended speed limit is 40 km per hour. Do not exit your vehicle. Predators roam free. The main gate closes at 18h00, should your arrival time be later, please advice prior to arrival in order to make arrangements. A daily transfer from the main gate to your lodge is available on request, and must be booked at least 72 hours in advance.
• Follow the Route 62 for 175 km via the picturesque Little Karoo villages of Calitzdorp and Ladismith to Barrydale.
• From Barrydale follow the Route 62 towards Montagu for about 22km and turn right at “Die Vlakte” and Sanbona Wildlife Reserve signs. Continue 7km to the main entrance.